Sunday, March 27, 2011

Blogging

When writing on this blog for a grade, it is extremely difficult to be motivated when you're past your word count.  The ideas stop flowing, the will to write dissipates -- but I need just one more post.  This is a bad habit run rampant in society.  Only do as much as needed, then stop.  Passion -- the need to do whatever it is -- has hidden itself behind the mundane life.  However, it is this lack of passion that tells us just as definitely what we should do as its presence.

In the seventh grade, I wanted to be a writer.  I could dream of no greater feat than to have words -- my words -- published.  I liked to write, but I didn't need to, not to survive.  Now, I know this neutrality about the whole thing is a sign of it not being what I want to do.  I can draw reasonably well and I enjoy it immensely, but I dabble, not finding it necessary to continue to express myself through colors on a paper.  Again, a failed attempt at a life plan.

As a college nears, it become necessary, even urgent, to decide what "you want to do with your life."  In my house, that phrase should be synonymous with "being employable."  As a junior in high school, I know without a doubt that my future lies in microbiology.  This is to me an example of the presence of passion guiding the purpose in life.  Never have I been able to step away from the microscope.  The worlds in the specimen fascinated me and continue to do that to this day, when work should be eroding that love.  I think of maintaining my passion for microbiology as a marriage -- sometimes you need to simply focus on the love of your life.  When we do ecology in biology, I take breaks by revisiting the cell section, focusing on only the cell, no plants, animals, or soil to interfere.

Whatever the course of my life, I know for certain that I could never become a professional blogger.

No comments:

Post a Comment